Subsequent to his tenure as Chancellor, Schröder went on to accept a number of honorary appointments, both national and international. Among other positions, he is:
- a patron of the Aladdin Project, an initiative of the Fondation pour la Mémoire de la Shoah under the patronage of UNESCO to foster intercultural and interfaith dialogue across the globe;
- a patron of Gesicht Zeigen! Für ein weltoffenes Deutschland, an association created to fight xenophobia, racism, and antisemitism in Germany;
- a patron of Hilfe für ALS-kranke Menschen, an initiative to raise money for research on and treatment of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, a rare disease characterized by progressive paralysis of the muscles and for which there is no known cure;
- a member of the InterActionCouncil, an international council of former state and government leaders;
- a member of the 21st Century Council and the Council for the Future of Europe of the Berggruen Institute on Governance, which drafts proposals for improving governance and for advancing the EU;
- honorary chairman of Nah- und Mittelostvereins (NuMOV), which seeks to improve relations with Middle East countries.